I'll start by saying this whole incident could've been so much worse. We know that and are very thankful that it wasn't. That being said, I'll continue...
The night of November 15 will forever be burned into our memory. It's been about three weeks, and I am still having a hard time telling the story - especially having to relive the whole thing over again as I type.
Andrew and I were at his office that night unloading a few items out of his truck before we headed off to grab a quick bite to eat. We both had our eyes on Lila the entire time we were moving things around. We took our eyes off of her for a split second, and I heard Andrew scream! A huge wooden dining room table that had been propped against the truck was nudged and knocked our precious Lila over and came crashing down on her little leg. We didn't understand the severity of it until, moments later, when I went to examine her scrapes. The poor girl couldn't even put pressure on her right foot. We didn't even think about it. We just jumped into the car, Lila cradled in my arms, and headed to the nearest hospital (which was five minutes away, thank the Lord!) You have no idea the pain you can feel as a parent until you hear your little baby cry out in such blood curling screams. There was only a little scrape on her leg, and we were worried that there might be some tendon/ligament damage - never thinking it could be broken. Surprisingly, we were seen very quickly (within 30 minutes). It seemed like an hour having a screaming child in my lap. They x-rayed her leg and told us it was broken in two places (the tibia and fibula). I thought you could always tell a bone was broken because the bone would be sticking out...I guess that goes to show you how many bones I've broken in my life! They splinted her and sent us to the children's hospital downtown. We jumped in the car and drove 20 minutes, all the while with Lila on my lap. There was no way I was putting my screaming baby in a carseat!
The doctors at the children's hospital decided to admit her for the night to monitor the swelling. They put an IV in her and started giving her Morphine every four hours for pain. It was so hard to watch her little hand get poked and prodded with a sharp needle. Andrew made a quick run home to get some "comforts of home" (like our sound machine - we never spend a night without it!). Then, I sent Andrew home (so at least one of us could function with a semi-clear head the next day), and I spent the night in the room with Lila. Believe it or not, our night was pretty uneventful. She yelled out twice in pain - that's my "scheduled baby" - her cries were exactly four hours apart, just in time for more medicine. Wouldn't you know she'd wake up at her normal 6:30 a.m. wake-up time?! Are you kidding me? After only six hours of Morphine-induced sleep, and she's ready to start the day? I couldn't believe it! I, of course, got two hours of completely interrupted sleep!
Andrew and the doctors came in around 7:00 a.m. The doctors were pleased with her condition and said they'd send us home once she was off the Morphine.
I cannot say enough wonderful things about the hospital. The nurses were amazing! They catered as much to the parents as they did the patient, always making sure that we had everything that we needed. Lila was able to watch several of her favorite DVDs/videos. They really made a pleasant experience out of an unfortunate situation.
They wheeled her out of the hospital in a wagon. She wasn't too sure about it at first, but then thought it was pretty relaxing!
Doing her "sweet smile!"
(It is involves shrugged shoulders - up to her ears - and a huge, silly grin!)









No comments:
Post a Comment